Re: Package Installation....

Hi Timothy,

Why not use the .deb with the staroffice tarballs in /tmp?

  Package: staroffice3
  Version: 3.1-4
  Maintainer: Martin Schulze
  Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.4-0)
  Filename: dists/unstable/contrib/binary-i386/editors/staroffice3_3.1-4
.deb
  Size: 22054
office productivity applications containing the following [..snip..]

  The StarOffice 3.1 binaries can be found in ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linu
x/staroffice/ They need to be placed in /tmp or $TMP respectively.

Also, StarOffice 4.0 should be released by months end (that's when the
current beta expires), and hopefully it will have English menus.  It's
considerably faster than StarOffice 3.1(static), looks like Office97.
If you like all those features, it's very impressive, installs very
cleanly with it's own installation script, and you can specify the
directory.

If you can't read German and want to try out the German StarOffice 4.0
Linux Beta, I have a webpage which outlines the procedure for getting
that going:
  http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/staroffice.html

Regarding space, the staroffice install lets you select individual
components if you choose the custom install method.  I think the
minimum required space is around 30MB.  As mentioned, a symlink from
/opt to /usr/opt also works.

Have fun! :-)
--
David Stern