Package Installation....

Hi!
I just downloaded StarOffice 3.1 from Caldera, and debianized the RPMs
with Alien. (Thanks for the help with my Alien problem, it works now!).
When I try to install it, it wants to install onto /opt/StarOffice-3.1.
But my root partition doesn't have enough space for 100mb's of
staroffice!! Any ideas or pointers to relevant documentation on how
I can get it to install onto my /usr partition like everything else?

I could just install the .rpms with RPM, because RPM seems to have an
option to set destination directory, but the rpm man page says I should
use Alien for .rpms unless "you know exactly what your doing".......
Could I break anything by using RPM to install it?

Thanks!
Timothy