RE: Upgrade to libc6...

	:On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Michael [badpixel/bad sector] wrote:
	:
	:: Hi!
	::
	:: > > Just wondering how to uprade to libc6? Do I just install
the libc6 package,
	:: > > or do I have to reinstall my hole system? ...
	:: >
	:: > http://www.debian.org/devel/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html
	::
	:: Ok ... but I just have a little problem (i think!) :)
	::
	:: the libc6 package conflicts with libc5,and when i tries to
remove
	:: libc5 a lot of programs depends on that...
	::
	:
	:Read the last paragraph of Scott Ellis's FAQ (section 4.6).
The URL is
	:cleverly hidden in this email message.
	:
	:
	I read that and I was wondering what exactly the conflicts are.
It
	mentions 'locales' and the 'format of utmp/wtmp'.  What kinds of
	problems are caused by these conflicts?

	VAResearch had me upgrade to libc6 and override the conflict
	so that I could add another package I needed.  After two days,
	I haven't noticed any problems (other than I now have both
	libc5 and libc6 in memory, I presume, when I am running X.)

	I have grabbed the libc5_5.4.33-3.deb package that the
	FAQ suggests as an alternative, but I haven't installed
	it yet.  Is there anything I should look for?

	Thanks,
	John Marter      jmarter@fastenal.com