RE: Upgrade to libc6...

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, John Marter wrote:

:
: 	:On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Michael [badpixel/bad sector] wrote:
: 	:
: 	:: Hi!
: 	::
: 	:: > > Just wondering how to uprade to libc6? Do I just install
: the libc6 package,
: 	:: > > or do I have to reinstall my hole system? ...
: 	:: >
: 	:: > http://www.debian.org/devel/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html
: 	::
: 	:: Ok ... but I just have a little problem (i think!) :)
: 	::
: 	:: the libc6 package conflicts with libc5,and when i tries to
: remove
: 	:: libc5 a lot of programs depends on that...
: 	::
: 	:
: 	:Read the last paragraph of Scott Ellis's FAQ (section 4.6).
: The URL is
: 	:cleverly hidden in this email message.
: 	:
: 	:
: 	I read that and I was wondering what exactly the conflicts are.
: It
: 	mentions 'locales' and the 'format of utmp/wtmp'.  What kinds of
: 	problems are caused by these conflicts?
:
: 	VAResearch had me upgrade to libc6 and override the conflict
: 	so that I could add another package I needed.  After two days,
: 	I haven't noticed any problems (other than I now have both
: 	libc5 and libc6 in memory, I presume, when I am running X.)
:
: 	I have grabbed the libc5_5.4.33-3.deb package that the
: 	FAQ suggests as an alternative, but I haven't installed
: 	it yet.  Is there anything I should look for?
:
: 	Thanks,
: 	John Marter      jmarter@fastenal.com
:

I did this once, when the new Apache-SSL package came out and I wanted
to play with it.  It needed libc6, so I just installed that.  A few days
later I noticed that the system was (surprise) "unstable" ... Apache-SSL
segfaulted on a regular basis, and the whole system was generally weird.
So I nuked the whole thing and started over.  Following Scott's howto
worked flawlessly and the system's been solid as can be.

I would have to say that upgrading to libc6 in a "non-standard" manner
is playing with fire.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104