why does dpkg do destructive updates when it fails

I recently did the bo-->hamm conversion.  By hand.  This failed because
I did not have all of ppp2.3.2's required packages.  But rather than
dpkg saying this, it half installed it anyway.  I did not have ppp2.2
floating around, so I was stuck w/ no ppp until I could grab it from
work the next day.  dpkg should not remove a package until it is sure it
can install the new package.