Good Linux books??

Hi,

I am looking for some good books, that introduce linux and provide a good
reference for the begginer, but will still be a usefull reference later on.

I am unsure about the 'xxx for dummies' books, as i have recently found at
my cost, they assume you really are dumb and the first half focuses more on
background history, basic concept of whatever the book is about, and
useless information, while the second half explanes only a few of the
really basic concepts, taking 200+ pages to do it. (i am refering to Java
for dummies, but the other books in this range i have looked at seem
similar).

I am looking for a book that lets you 'get dirty' right from page 1, and by
the finish makes you feel like you've actually learnt something you hadn't
figured out for yourself.

Thanks
Rick

PS, I recently recived a spam mail (nothing unusual abou that!) but the
signature text at the end was the same as the debian lists. Is this group
moderated?, and if not, why not!

Email -> kitty5@dial.pipex.com
homepage -> http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/kitty5/
(Raytracing, 3D Animation and Emulation)