Re: LILO stopped working

> Date:          Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:02:08 -0500
> From:          Bruce Jackson <bjackson@pobox.com>
> To:            debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject:       LILO stopped working

> I normally leave my computer on all the time.  Just the other day I
> rebooted and LILO would not work.  It prints LI on the screen and then
> freezes.  I have not rebooted my computer in a few weeks and much has
> changed.  I am running 2.0.33 with LILO 20-0.1.  I have tried running
> LILO off of a floppy and that does not work.  The drive is a Quantum
> SCSI disk of 3.2 gb with a 2.0 gb linux partition at the beginning.  Any
> one have any ideas?

Bruce,
    This has happened to me a few times, ususally because the kernel has been
touched, either moved or compiled. LILO has in effect a pointer to the sector
where the kernel resides. Doing anything to the kernel will usually result in
it being in a different sector. Time to dig out the emergency disk, mount the
disk partition that is root on / and do LILO again. For what its worth, I
decided a long time ago to direct LILO to put it's stuff on a floppy. I got
into too many scary senario's dickering with the MBR.

Good Luck, Steve
                                     Stephen Millard
                                Websmith Enterprises Inc.
                                     Harrisburg, Pa.