Re: PPP not finsihing connection for Earthlink

This problem existed before that line was entered...

The PPP Howto seemed to mention this might fix it.  However all it
seems to do is prolong how long I will wait for the return LCP echo.
However, it never comes.  I have tried this with both Earthlink and
IBM.net and it happens with both of them.  IBM actually had Linux PPP
scripts on its site and I used those instead of my typical ppp-chat,
ppp-connect scripts.  Someone mentioned earlier that the routers at
the ISP might not return echos and this may be unavoidable, but I have
a difficult time believing that this same thing is happening at two
National ISPs.

I have a feeling this is the cause of my modem.  It is a cheap
internal 33.6 modem that I bought from MicroTime, Inc.  I couldn't
find a MFG name for it but it uses Cirrus Logic chips.  It is a PnP
modem, but can be set up by changing jumpers to be a standard modem.
(I have yet to try this).  The manual (small as it is) mentions AT
commands, but never mentions a preferred initialization string.  I
believe it to be Hayes compatible but I think the current settings are
causing communication between Linux and the ISP to be difficult.  It
works fine under Win95 and WinNT.   So, I am somewhat baffled.  I
appreciate your help and hope maybe someone can help me find a
solution to this...

Thanks, Bill