XFree86 setup problems

I have XFree86 setup; but with some problems.

First,
the setup from dselect did not indicate that I neded any fonts to be
loaded, and this (of course) caused failures. THis would be a good
dependency to note!

Also;
 the level of detail for Xsetup that requires refresh rates, dot-clock,
chip set numbers, etc.. is horrendous! I have run several X-win servers
under windows and Unix, and never had to try to input this level of detail..
 I also have a common monitor (Gateway Vivitron 17"), I see only one
Gateway in teh minitors list. The list is very sparse!
-----------------
So, remaining issues:

1) when it boots, I get a big screen with the login prompt partially
visible in the lower right; ^Atl+ reduces resolution so it mostly fits.
login works, but I then get a non-workable screen (a hashed outline on a
gray background). ^alt-^H kills it back to a login, I have to ^alt-F1 to
get a workable console.
  I disabled the xdm startup now...
  Solutions?

2) I also find the mouse doesn't work; a standard MS 2-button mouse; how to
diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any help.
Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)