Re: adduser_trouble

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Richard Sevenich wrote:

> I am having a problem with 'adduser'. The behavior is as follows:
> Upon entering
> 	'adduser some_name'
> entries are created in
> 	/etc/passwd
> 	/etc/group
> a home directory is created
> and the files from /etc/skel are copied to it.
>
> But error messages are issued
> 	Unknown error
>         passwd: unknown user: some_name.
>
> The /etc/passwd entry has the character <!> in the encrypted password
> field (I think that's what this field is) and a subsequent login attempt
> is unsuccessful.
>
> Yesterday, adduser worked OK.
> The system is a tiny one with NIS installed and working (yesterday).

Well, adduser never worked with NIS. What happpens is that adduser adds
new user AFTER the plus entry in /etc/passwd and "passwd" doesn't see it.
I remember several bur reports about this but apparently this behaviour
still is'n fixed. It's probably not too hard to fiddle with adduser (if
you know perl) to make it add users before "plus" entry or to a specified
NIS map. If you do please post a patch and send it to adduser maintainer.

  =
 ===			      mailto:stalex@physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
=====			      http://physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~stalex
  |______ Alexander Stavitsky