adduser_trouble

I am having a problem with 'adduser'. The behavior is as follows:
Upon entering
	'adduser some_name'
entries are created in
	/etc/passwd
	/etc/group
a home directory is created
and the files from /etc/skel are copied to it.

But error messages are issued
	Unknown error
        passwd: unknown user: some_name.

The /etc/passwd entry has the character <!> in the encrypted password
field (I think that's what this field is) and a subsequent login attempt
is unsuccessful.

Yesterday, adduser worked OK.
The system is a tiny one with NIS installed and working (yesterday).

Any hints?

Regards, Richard