Re: Xwindow

Hi,

How did you create the X server configuration file /etc/X11/XF86Config? The
error message indicates there is something wrong with the configuration file
and that is why the X server can not start.

I have had good success with the XF86Setup utility which comes with the
xserver-vga16 package. If you try using it to create the XF86Config file does
the problem go away?

For more information about XFree86 and the Tseng Chipsets see
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.1/tseng.html. Section '1. Supported chipsets' says
that the SVGA server should work but there are some exceptions.

David Bosque <dbosque@redestb.es> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm installing the Linux Debian GNU 1.3.1 system in my PC and my graphic
> card is the VGA MENTOR with one MB of memory. This is based on Tseng's
> ET4000.
>
> Also, I'm installing the Xwindow with xsever-svga and xserver-vga16 of
> the packeges in the CD, but I have an a fatal server error when I make
> the "startx", this error said:
>
> 	Fatal server error:
> 	No valid modes found
>
> 	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
> 	xinit: Connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X
> server
> 	xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> I think, that's possible do I need another server?
>
> How and where can I get the ET4000 driver for this X window?

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland