Re: was wondering if you could help us

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 05:13:14AM -0500, Fuzzy wrote:
> depends on libc6

> I downloaded the latest netscapebut thats 3.04 and the 1.3.1 installer
> is for 3.01 sighs. is there a way to install it standalone?

It's reasonably safe to just extract the contents
to somewhere like /usr/local/netscape or similar. It just
means dpkg can't automatically remove it.

> but now I found the path for root doesnt include
> /usr/X11R6/bin or /usr/local/sbin or /usr/local/sbin
>
> until we added /usr/X11R6/bin to the root path startx would not start X
> is it ok for me to add in .login (tcsh) so its there?

Sure, why not?

> where else is reasonable? /etc/csh.login? thats for everyone tho?

Yes, it is. For my personal machine I just change csh.login,
but I gather you're making this machine public access, so
you might not want everyone to have X on their path
by default, and probably not sbin either.

>  /etc/login.defs

Controls login parameters, like time delay between incorrect
logins and so on.

> also for this one, we'd like to move the mailboxes from
> /var/spool/mail to ~userid/.mail (or someplace in the users
> home directory). how does the MTA and the MUAs know where to put
> mail? is the setting in /etc/login.defs enough? or does sendmail.cf
> and pine.conf need parameters?

I don't think this is supported. I think qmail
prefers to do it this way though, perhaps you could try that.
I don't know what the debization status is.

> eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:76:80:38:05
>           inet addr:206.66.160.242  Bcast:206.66.160.247 Mask:255.255.255.248
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           Interrupt:15 Base address:0x340
>
> we figured we could just change the DNS and the ifconfig/route to give
> the port a name route it to the new machine. have the new machine
> masquerade as the old one (servers run on new machine and internet
> users access them with real IP address thats masq'd to the fake one?).
> the servers will be innd, apache, UUCP (it will need to get the UUCP
> news from the current UUCP connection (having it store and forward))
> and send it to the new server via UUCP/TCP-IP) since the modems are on
> the old machine, sendmail, ftp, bind etc... same stuff we;re runing on
> the old system, but current versions.

Shouldn't be a problem.

> still get a bunch of nfsiod's whatever they are. everything else is

nfsiod is built into the kernel and not a daemon
that is loaded by Debian. I think it is related to the NFS
file system code, but I am not sure.

> quiesed except for the gettys and sendmail (its defined acceptably
> for now, mail gets to ns.asarian.org from owl.asarian.org without a
> problem via ppp -> ISP2 <- internet -> ISP1 <- ppp... we'd like to get
> it go via eth0 - eth0.

Sorry, I can't help with sendmail. It sounds like a DNS problem perhaps.
Also if the old machine has a different IP completely then they
both need to be configured to have a route over eth0 to
the other.

> startx -- -bpp 24 made it look brighter and more able to be read.
> looked bigger but I cant tell. the image is a little distorted on far
> left side. I'm guessing its probably trying to put more on the screen
> then there is room for. at -bpp 16 it looks clearer but the virtual
> size was much bigger then the actual size scrolling around weas
> needed. the monitor book says the monitor can only do 1024x768 but the
> server is trying to do 1152x864 both at 65.000?

Edit the "Modes" line and remove the higher resolutions that
you don't want. Distorted image is probably due to too high
a resolution or refresh rate for your monitor.

I will cc: this to debian-user in case other people have some ideas.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/