Re: EQL - all traffic is via ppp1

Hi Kevin,

I worked it out yesterday.  My mistake was in not deleting the pppx
entries from the routing table.  Perfectly obvious in hindsight, but I do
wish that people writing documents would give more examples.

The closest I have come to a Portmaster is looking one up in the price
list on Saturday.  Guess I will stick with Linux.  I guess they have to be
configured and that your IPS has not done it correctly.  Maybe the list
will come good.

I do need some expert advice in one area.  The school Linux box (P133)
does everything at the moment and has a single modem link to the outside.
Now, if I go to dual modems (or even three), is the box going to be able
to keep up when servicing three 33K modems and doing DNS lookups and
running apache, squid, etc all at the same time?

It would clearly be better to have smart card to service the modems but
they seems to be around $A900.  Another possibility is to use a spare
486/33 to handle the modems but, as we have only one IP address, that box
would have to have it and the Linux box would then be masqueraded behind
it (or use redir.)  It starts to seem really messy.

Getting back to eql, I thought of writing up a mini HOWTO on the subject,
but then I have zero experience with Livinston boxes or of using it with
SLiRP.  I would also like to hear of any experience with the situation
mentioned in the docs where he suggests a cron entry that runs every
minute of every hour to keep the thing up.

Lindsay
Lindsay Allen   <allen@cleo.murdoch.edu.au>  Perth, Western Australia
voice +61 8 9316 2486    32.0125S 115.8445E    vk6lj      Debian Unix