Re: sliplogin problem

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Bob Clark wrote:

> I have two Debian boxes connected with a nullmodem cable.
> The first unit is connected to my ISP using a modem and
> ppp.  I want the second box to use the first as a gateway.
> sliplogin/slattach seems like what I want but I get the
> following when I run sliplogin:
>
>   attaching slip unit sl0 for Ssolo2
>   /etc/slip.login sl0 115200 17944 Ssolo2 clark
> 192.168.0.254 0xffffff00
>   ioctl (SIOCSIFENCAP): Invalid argument
>
> I think SIOCSIFENCAP is trying to set the tty and failing.
>
> I setup /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/slip.hosts, and
> /etc/slip.tty according to the Net-3-Howto so that sliplogin
> is the login shell for the user Ssolo2.  I added Ssolo2 to
> the dip group and the permissions on sliplogin are
> "-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip".
>
> I have a getty running on ttyS0 and I'm using kermit in an
> xterm on the client machine to get a login prompt from the
> server.  I can login OK as a regular user but get the ioctl
> error when I login as Ssolo2.  On the client side I get the
> following messages then a pause and a new login prompt.
>
>   Starting auto slip for Ssolo2
>   Your IP address is 192.168.0.254, the server is clark
>
> Any idea what's wrong or can anyone suggest a better way to
> connect these machines without ethernet cards?  Is kermit
> the right way to establish the connection?
>
> BTW the server is running hamm and the client is running bo,
> slip is compiled as a module on the both machines.

This sounds more complicated than it should be.

Many moons ago I had two Linux boxes connected by a null modem.  I used
slattach on each to establish the connection and was able to log in from
one to the other with telnet, using the normal bash login shell.

It worked practically the same as with an ethernet connection, except
slower, of course (I was running at 115.2 kb with 16550As on both serial
ports.

Another possibility would be to use plip, but with ne2000 clones at ~$15
these days, I would recommend ethernet.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org