Re: Quick Question

dg@bingo.baynet.de writes:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, BRIAN SCHRAMM wrote:
>
> >      I have a Slackware 2.0 system that has no capability of running a
> >      floppy or booting from the CD-ROM (Sound Blaster Pro16).  I would like
> >      to update it to the newest (1.3) Debian release that I have so my main
> >      machine and my server (this machine) has the same system.  Keeping in
> >      mind that I cannot boot off of anything but the hard drive (SCSI) how
> >      do I start the install?  I do not have DOS on this machine at all.
>
> Hi Brian!
>
> AFAIK you need at least a bootable floppy drive *OR* a bootable CD-ROM
> drive (such a thing is common in newer PCs) to install Debian GNU/Linux.

No, Debian can be installed without CD or floppy.  All it requires is
that you can boot a kernel and a ramdisk.  With DOS, you could use
Loadlin for that purpose.  If you already have a Slackware
installation, I guess you could configure LILO to boot the contents of
the bootdisk from your harddrive.

- Sten Anderson