Re: Internet Access With Debian

On Fri, 02 Jan 1998 10:31:37 EST, Carl Nasal wrote:

> Basic Question:  How can I get Internet Access on my new Debian Linux
> machine so I can download packages via FTP right to my Linux machine?

This is how I was told to do it.  There are security implications for
allowing regular users (in the dip group) permission to dial, such as
long distance charges, so you may wish to refrain from that part until
you decide:

--------8<--------
(as root)
First edit your /etc/ppp.chatscript.  Just add the phone number, login,
pass
and possibly change ogin and word to work with whatever the prompts are
when
you login to your isp.  The first part are cut off in case the prompts
start
with a capital or are lost in transmission.

Now I recommend you chgrp dip ppp.chatscript ppp.options_out

Then edit /etc/group and add your self to the dial out and dip groups.
While
you are at it you may want to add you self to a couple of other groups
like
audio.  Without that audio will only work as root.

Now cd to /etc/ppp

I changed the group on all those files to dip and made sure the group
had read
access on all of them but the pap.secrets file.  For good measure I
also did
this on the /etc/ppp/ dir.

Now you edit /etc/ppp/pap.secrets and on the bottom line replace
password with
your password.

Now in /etc/ppp/ you will see two scrips called ip-up and ip-down
respectively.
They are where you put any programs you want to run once your
connection goes
up and once it goes down. < This is where you can put scripts you want
to run at connect time. >

I think that last thing you need to do is make a few permission changes
/usr/sbin/pppd

You may have to chgrp dip pppd and make sure the permissions look like
this:

-rwsrwsr--   1 root     dip         76072 Mar  1  1997 /usr/sbin/pppd

Especially note the group permissions.

Now I think that is it.  I have just told you how to get dial up
networking
work so you can dial into your isp and bring the connection up as a
normal
user.

No all you have to do is type pon to bring it up and poff to bring it
down.

One more thing I almost forgot.  Make sure you either have a soft link
from
/dev/ttyS1, or what ever your modem is to /dev/modem.  This will make
your live
a little easier.  But if for some freakish reason you don't want to do
this you
can just edit /etc/ppp.options_out and change any references to
/dev/modem to
/dev/ttyS1

---------8<--------

This assumse your modem is on com2.  Mine is on com1 (/dev/ttyS0).  To
make a symlink (as root): "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem"  If you already
have it, then you'll get an error message.

If you wish to implement the dip group, install the dip package *first*.

There are several gui's like xisp and ezppp which offer some nice
features, if that's what you like.  Links to the homepages can be found
in my homepage linux | apps | dialup networking , if your web search
engine is down.  There's a debian xisp package, I don't know of an
ezppp package, but it should be pretty easy to install manually.

Diald is nice, but I discovered that deciding on rules and being happy
with them wasn't as easy as I'd anticipated.

***This is not intended to substitute for reading the net3 howto, which
provides a wealth of information you'll need to know.***

You might want to confirm the wording of the login prompts your isp
gives you if they're not the defaults (this might prevent you from
logging in).

After you get this done, type dselect, choose the ftp access method,
accept the defaults, and you should be ready to download the latest and
greatest packages from ftp.debian.org automatically.
--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/