Re: Pros and Cons of various Mail packages.

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Kevin J Poorman wrote:

> I was wondering if you all could tell me the pros and cons of some Mail
> Packages: I was wondering about:
>
> Fetchmail: I want to use this to just grab my mail and deliver it to me.
> (can it do sorting of mail?)

Fetchmail will retrieve mail from a remote mailserver (your ISP)
and forward it to your local machine.  Works very well at what it
does, but does not do other stuff, such as sorting mail, killing
spam, and such.  For this procmail is the way to go.

> Sendmail: I just wonder which is beter sendmail or smail....

Smail is easier to configure, but is is also less configurable.
However, both are very flexible.  Fortunately, at least for me
anyway, a very usable configuration of smail is provided with
the package.

Mark
blunier@concentric.net