Beginner Question

I recently purchased Dale Scheetz's book "The Debian Linux User's Guide"
and installed Debian Linux 1.3 on my 486.  I have been unable to get
XWindows working inspite of several days of effort.

Hardware:
i486 w/ 16 meg
Linux 1.3 booting using a dual boot system and loadlin
24speed ide CDROM
Diamond Speedstar Pro video card chip #s (CL-GD5426-80QC-B 21943-189AC)
	with 1 meg on board mem
Monitor: ARCHE model 214S SVGA

I can run XF86Config and everything seems to setup OK but when I run
xdm from the prompt the screen goes blank and no XTERM is displayed.
Every combination I have tried has resulted in the same results.

If I run XF86Config a second time using the existing config file I get an
error reading the XF86Config file. (Sorry I don't have the exact error
message since I am sending this from the WIN95 side of the system.  I
don't have PPP working yet either.)

I suspect the problem is because I missed something but I don't know what
it could be.  I don't have the documentation on the monitor or the video card.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack Elliston