Re: Prompt in Bash

"Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> writes:

> Well, you should have RTFMpage, but here's the excerpt you want:

That seems a little over-harsh.

>        a command.  Bash allows these prompt strings  to  be  cus­
>        tomized by inserting a number of backslash-escaped special
>        characters that are decoded as follows:

[...]

This list of bash escapes doesn't tell them the sequence of characters
that has to be sent to an *xterm* to set the title-bar, which is what
they really need to know.  I had to dig around for a while before I
figured that out.  Maybe the rxvt man page has been improved...

They also have to figure out the BASH_PROMPT variable if they want the
"~" cleanup, and several other little tidbits that take quite a while
to pull together.  I certainly don't begurdge saving someone else the
time to figure all that out.  Others have certainly done the same for
me innumerable times.
--
Rob