Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Christian Lynbech wrote:
>
> > I like the topics idea very much, if we can get people to use it (at
> > least some of the time :-). It would make it very much easier to
> > filter the group, whether it is visually or automatically. And it is a
> > good idea, regardless of whether the list is split or not.
> >
> > However, I would to extend the proposal by adding the topics
> >
> > 	[<package>]
> >

> I think that this is too complicated for people, particularly newbies, to
> have to remember.  Remember, they probably feel timid at first anyhow in
> the fear that their question is trivial and might get slammed with an RTFM
> response but to then get slammed because they did not properly format the
> subject line of the posting is a bit much.

That is why in my proposal I suggested having a debian-newbie list (or
whatever you want to call it).  For this list you would not need
specially formatted subject lines.  Messages sent to debian-newbie
would also be sent to debian-user with [NEWBIE] automatically prefixed
to the subject line.

This satisfies everyone.  Newbies get easy access to help.  Regulars
get the filtering they need.

And as for regulars who don't format subject lines correctly, they
won't get "slammed", they will simply get an automatic response explaining
the format of subject lines and a list of valid "topics" together with
what they mean.

> What WOULD help a LOT is something that the ml.org mailing lists do.  The
> list management software (I think they are using majordomo on redhat
> linux) prepends an abbreviation of the list that is sending the message to
> the Subject: header so that you can see at a glance which list the message
> came from.  e.g. Their systalk mailing list for various administration
> issues prepends [ST] to each message.  Debian might do something like [DU]
> or [USER] or [HELP] so that someone quickly scanning their inbox can
> choose what to respond to and what can wait till later. (I would check
> help first and then chek user later).

You could do it this way - in some ways it is similar to my suggestion.
One main problem with separate lists is the number of cross-posts likely
to occur.  Others have suggested that this problem is solved by mail
filters that remove email which is cross posted.  For starters not
everyone has easy access to such filters.  Secondly, many times there may
be valid reasons for posting under multiple topics.  My proposal has a
nice way of doing this, and only one email is sent.  Eg
	[PPP,INSTALL] Can't install ppp

The other point to make is that in my proposal the emphasis is on
"handling the volume of a single list better".  Having a single list has
the psycological effect of saying "we have a single community of Debian
Users, everyone pitching in to help out."  If we have separate lists, we
are in danger of losing this.  Those who have the "community spirit"
would be likely to subscribe to all the lists anyway - so where is the
gain?

Maybe I'm wrong on this last point, but its a concern I have.  And maybe
I'm right?