Re: What is '/etc/emacs/site-start.d' for?

    sb>   What's the directory '/etc/emacs/site-start.d' for?
    sb>   When I installed 'calc', I found that the 'calc autoloads'
    sb>   file '50calc.el' is in '/etc/emacs/site-start.d/';
    sb>   but emacs doesn't seem to automatically load it.

    sb>   '/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50calc.el'
    sb>   looks like those file such as
    sb>   '/etc/rc2.d/S10sysklogd'.

Your /etc/emacs/site-start.el should contain the following:

(load "debian-rundir")
(debian-run-directory)
;; DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
;; See /usr/doc/emacs/README.site-start.d for where to add your package
;; initialization code.

The     debian-run-directory     call   loads   all    the   files  in
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/ in the  order of  their filenames  like  sysv
init files.

It may not work  if you have a site-start.el  in another location that
is run instead of the one  in /etc/emacs/site-start.el. Check with M-x
locate-library RET site-start RET.
--
Fred - May the source be with you