memory usage

[I have 64 RAM (EDO) and 64 swap]

When I have the 'xosview' program up, it says that 97% of my memory is
used and 0% swap.  Of the memory about 40% is 'used' 55% is 'shared' and
1% is 'buffered'
What does this mean?  Am I short on ram?  When I open netscape, and all
six StarOffice programs (writer,calc,draw,math,image,chart) mem reads
about 1% used, 97% shared and 0% buffered.  swap reads 8% used.. whats
the deal here?  what does 'shared' memory mean?

-Paul