Re: XF_S3V

On 30 Jul 1997, Carey Evans wrote:

> Maarten Boekhold <M.Boekhold@ET.TUDelft.NL> writes:
>
> > does anybody have a diamond 3d 2400 4MB running at 1280x1024? If so,
> > with what refresh-rate? The information on the diamond-site says no
> > 1280x1024, XFree 3.3 says it does. Also, the listed refresh-rates on the
> > diamond-site are low.
>
> I have a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with 4MB that I can run at 1280x1024,
> in 8 bit mode.  I get a refresh rate of about 60 Hz.  I'm currently

I think I must have been missing something about the color depth.  I
thought with 4MB video memory you could run 1280x1024x24, albeit at 60 Hz.
Mayby this is why my highest resolution mode looks so bad, with blurred
screen and window edges and slanted text.

> running in 1152x864 with 16 bit colour with 70 Hz refresh, which is a
> nice big screen with plenty of colours and little flicker.

I understoon that the color depth didn't have anything to do with the
refresh rate.  Perhaps I understood wrongly?

> This is with XFree86 3.3 and the SVGA server.

Any info greatly appreciated.

__
I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield