Re: Some teTeX PrOblEms

Alan Eugene Davis writes:

> I don't understand why latex of teTeX can't see any files I have
> placed into /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.  Also, there seems to be no
> provision for placing new files in
> /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.  If this is true, this is a major
> weakness.

You have to run texhash before the files are found.  This can be done
from the texconfig utility.  As another respondent also pointed out,
it is best to place you own files under /usr/local/lib/texmf.  You
will have to create the necessary subdirectories, and you still _have_
to run texhash if you do this.

And while you're using texconfig, take a look at the teTeX FAQ as
well, it is accesible from the menu.  (This question is number 6 in
the FAQ.)

> Also I am having a similar problem as with NTeX, though it might be an
> emacs problem:  when running latex from latex-mode in emacs 19.34, if
> latex is restarted, core is dumped.  This is something new with emacs
> 19.34, I think, and a nuisance.  How can I get rid of this?

Hm.  This has never happened to me, and it certainly shouldn't happen.
One thing which you didn't tell, which application dumps core?  What
might be happening is that remains of an older TeX installation are
somehow interfering.  The output of "texconfig confall" might provide
some hints.

> Another teTeX problem that many people have possibly given the wrong
> answer for: there are no page numbers in the article style, as far as
> I can tell!  This isn't an xdvi problem.

Article style should produce page numbers.  Try the small2e or
sample2e examples (i.e., "latex small2e") and see if you get page
numbers in the output.  They are high enough on the page that paper
size problems shouldn't affect their visibility.(*)  If you do not get
any page numbers for these examples, then there is something seriously
wrong with your installation.

(* Even so, you may want to change the settings to letter size paper
from the default of A4.  See FAQ #27.)

By the way, it is probably better to direct teTeX specific questions
to the teTeX mailing list.  (FAQ #1 tells you where to find it, FAQ
#23 tells you what kind of information you should supply.)

--
Olaf Weber