Re: Some teTeX PrOblEms

Hello Alan!  :)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> I don't understand why latex of teTeX can't see any files I have
> placed into /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.

Hmm... Did you run texhash to update its search file /usr/lib/texmf/ls-R
(or $TEXMF/ls-R) after you added the files?  :)  BTW, it might not be a
good idea to put your own custom files in $TEXMF/tex/latex/misc.  Put them
in $TEXMF/local/tex/latex/misc  or  /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc
(same thing, because /usr/lib/texmf/local is a symlink
to /usr/local/lib/texmf)

> Also, there seems to be no provision for placing new files in
> /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.  If this is true, this is a major
> weakness.

Yes, there is.  :)  Try putting your local files there, run texhash, then
see if teTeX can find your *.sty/*.tex.  :)

You might like to check out the files in directory /etc/texmf.  Also,
check out texconfig.  :)

> Also I am having a similar problem as with NTeX, though it might be an
> emacs problem:  when running latex from latex-mode in emacs 19.34, if
> latex is restarted, core is dumped.  This is something new with emacs
> 19.34, I think, and a nuisance.  How can I get rid of this?

Sorry, I have no idea.  (I haven't experienced this problem before.)

> Another teTeX problem that many people have possibly given the wrong
> answer for: there are no page numbers in the article style, as far as
> I can tell!  This isn't an xdvi problem.

teTeX is just a TeX distribution.  There shouldn't be any changes to how
LaTeX work.  Also, page numbers seem to work fine here.  :)

> So far, I don't see the significant benefits from using teTeX, and
> there have been a lot of users' complaints.

Actually, I find teTeX to be an excellent TeX distribution.  It is
up-to-date, integrated, fast, TDS (TeX Directory Structure standard)
conformant, etc.  AFAIK, Debian, Red Hat and Slackware include teTeX as
the standard TeX distribution.  (or does Slackware still use NTeX?  I'm
not sure... :)  Anyway, I find it quite organized, and works very
smoothly.  I had quite a few troubles with TeX/LaTeX on Debian before
teTeX was packaged, but many problems disappeared after I upgraded to
teTeX.  I'm a happy user!  :)

Cheers,

Anthony

--