Re: This list is gatewayed into news, right?

The debian-user list has been carried on usenet for years as
linux.debian.user

Carrying it yet again with yet another name might be a waste of bandwidth
and disk space should your group escape your site.

At least ONE such gateway (fuller.edu) even munges the headers before
injecting list messages on to usenet to keep the spam down to the
recipients.

There is little need to duplicate the lists to yet MORE newsgroups.  I
would suggent that you attempt to locate someone with linux.debian.user
and simply have them feed it to you.

On 4 Aug 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> > Would it be possible for you to provide me with some links to places where
> > I can find information on how to do this? Some Debian packages would be
> > great :-)
>
> Sure, you need
>
> inn_1.5.1-2
> inewsinn_1.5.1-2
> newsgate_1.6-2
>
> Then you subscribe an alias line list-squid to the mailing list, and
> gate the list into news. I do this llike this:
>
> [/etc/aliases]
> list-squid:"|/usr/bin/m2n -n lists.squid -dworld -amail2news -o 'Squid users list'"
>
> m2n is a setuid perl script that always does an exit(0) so that sendmail
> _never_ sees an error. If it did it would send an error back to the
> mailing list, which is something you definitely do not want.
>
> -rwsr-xr-x   1 news     wheel         214 Feb 25 11:29 /usr/bin/m2n*
>
> #! /usr/bin/perl
>
> $ENV{'PATH'} = '/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin';
>
> open(STDOUT, ">>/var/log/news/mail2news.log") || close STDOUT;
> open(STDERR, ">&STDOUT") || close STDERR;
>
> system('/usr/bin/mail2news', @ARGV);
>
> 0;
>

> Then, the group lists.squid is made moderated ('m') and the moderator's
> address is set to the mailinglist address, so that all postings in the
> group go back to the mailing list.
>
> [/etc/news/moderators]
> lists.squid:squid-users@nlanr.net
>
> I hope this is enough info to set it up
>
> ------
>
> There's also a mini-HOWTO on how to set this up.
>
> Good luck.
>
> E.-
>
> --
>
> Eloy A. Paris
> Information Technology Department
> Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
> Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323
>

> --

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?