Re: This list is gatewayed into news, right?

Hi,

Jason Costomiris <jcostom@sjis.com> wrote:

: I seem to recall mention somewhere that this list, as well
: as the other debian-* lists are gatewayed into linux.debian.*, no?
:
: Somebody willing to feed me linux.debian.*?
:
: If I was to start reading via the news spool, can I unsub my mailbox, yet
: maintain the ability to post?

thanks to excellent instruction from Miquel van Smoorenburg
<miquels@cistron.nl> I managed to set up my own mail to news gateway. You
can read any mailing list through any news reader and you can post because
you set up the newsgroups as moderated. Here are Miquel's instructions:

--------------

> Would it be possible for you to provide me with some links to places where
> I can find information on how to do this? Some Debian packages would be
> great :-)

Sure, you need

inn_1.5.1-2
inewsinn_1.5.1-2
newsgate_1.6-2

Then you subscribe an alias line list-squid to the mailing list, and
gate the list into news. I do this llike this:

[/etc/aliases]
list-squid:"|/usr/bin/m2n -n lists.squid -dworld -amail2news -o 'Squid users list'"

m2n is a setuid perl script that always does an exit(0) so that sendmail
_never_ sees an error. If it did it would send an error back to the
mailing list, which is something you definitely do not want.

-rwsr-xr-x   1 news     wheel         214 Feb 25 11:29 /usr/bin/m2n*

#! /usr/bin/perl

$ENV{'PATH'} = '/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin';

open(STDOUT, ">>/var/log/news/mail2news.log") || close STDOUT;
open(STDERR, ">&STDOUT") || close STDERR;

system('/usr/bin/mail2news', @ARGV);

0;

Then, the group lists.squid is made moderated ('m') and the moderator's
address is set to the mailinglist address, so that all postings in the
group go back to the mailing list.

[/etc/news/moderators]
lists.squid:squid-users@nlanr.net

I hope this is enough info to set it up

------

There's also a mini-HOWTO on how to set this up.

Good luck.

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris