trick for laptops

Hi,

I was not happy with the low brightness of the standard characters on my
laptop. On normal screens it may be nice to have only bold characters as
bright as they could be, and the others dimmed; but on laptops, it would
be better to have all chars really white: It happens a lot that there is
too much light around you to read dimmed text. I found a command named
setterm:

mv /etc/issue /etc/issue.old
(clear;echo; setterm -background blue -foreground white -bold on;
echo " Debian GNU \s 1.3 \n \l ";setterm -background black;
setterm -bold on -store;echo;) >/etc/issue

If you run the above as root, you get a new /etc/issue, which looks nice,
and sets the default to really white text. Because this file is printed
out before every login process on the console, you don't have to bother
which tty's are affected. There is also an issue.net file, which is
printed when you log in over the net, so it changes the behaviour of local
logins only.

There is an /etc/issue file appended here as an example.

I was just so glad about having found this trick that I wanted to share
it.

Thanks,
--
Lukas Eppler (godot)