talk doesn't let me talk

Yesterday it happened that I was working on my debian machine (1.3) from home, and another user of the same machine was working from home as well. We wanted to talk to each other but we simply couldn't. ytalk said that the other party refusing messages while I know that he is also trying to talk to me. Trying talk itself, it started said something and exited without being able to see what is it complaining about. I used to talk without any problem with the same user when I am working on the machine itself, not remotely logging. I would appreciate it if anyone can explain what is happening to me.

Thanks,