Re: talk doesn't let me talk

> Yesterday it happened that I was working on my debian machine (1.3) from =
> home, and another user of the same machine was working from home as well.=
>  We wanted to talk to each other but we simply couldn't. ytalk said that =
> the other party refusing messages while I know that he is also trying to =
> talk to me. Trying talk itself, it started said something and exited with=
> out being able to see what is it complaining about. I used to talk withou=
> t any problem with the same user when I am working on the machine itself,=
>  not remotely logging. I would appreciate it if anyone can explain what i=
> s happening to me.

My guess would be that one or both of you had `mesg n' switched on.
Type mesg and see whether it prints 'n' on either side.  If it does
print 'n', type 'mesg y'.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032