Problem with shellutils?

Hello.  I'm running a Debian 1.3.1 system, which has also had a
significant number of upgrades from "hamm" - until this mrning, mostly
from the "devel" and "libs" subdirs.  (I'm interested in helping debug
libc6 problems.)  This morning, I upgraded my "base" stuff to hamm,
and now I have a strange problem.  If I type "whoami", I get the
following message:
whoami: cannot find username for UID XXXX

(The XXXX's are my (correct) uid.)  I'm on a network that uses NIS, so
I wondered if shellutils has a problem, or if it's something else.
I'm running shellutils version 1.16-4, if that helps, although going
back one version didn't fix it either.  Also, the "groups" command is
not getting groupnames over NIS, either.

Thanks,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |