Re: Debian-Lite : The Project

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Alec Clews wrote:

> There is obviously a desire to make a small, simple Debian and so I
> propose a project to make
> one available.
>
> +To provide tools to extract the files required to create Debian-lite as
> a subset (100Mb?) suitable for inclusion on a CD with other software

I think should be better that the user installation option produces the
Debian-Lite "installed system" instead of having another CD with the
stuff necessary for this.

	What about the already existing ability of dpkg to read a
configuration file whether pre-made or as the result of a Q&A session?
--> (dpkg --get-selection)
	If you just put a pre-dselect program that can be bypassed by the
experienced user but is a must for the newbie one, you can achieve the
goal of having a Debian-Lite rising from the Debian system w/o clipping
anything from the later.
	In this manner, after the installation, the user could enhance his
system just running dselect, choosing other packages he/she want.

   Mario O.de Menezes                 mailto:mario@curiango.ipen.br
 | Nuclear and Energetic Research Institute - IPEN-CNEN/SP  BRAZIL |
 |                     http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario              |
     "There will be a day when every PC on the world will be a"
               "host, not a 'MyComputer'!" - mom