Re: no CDROM

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Chris Tipney wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have just finished installing Debian fron the CD that came with Linux
> World issue 1 it works fine but doesn't find my Aztech IDE CDROM drive.
>
> During boot the following lines appear...
>
> hdb: CDA286031 SE, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on IRQ14
Uh, what do think the two lines mean? An IDE CDROM hangs off the IDE
controller, so hdb is your cdrom.

> The boot up then goes through various CDROM types withput finding one present.
That's cuz it's already been detected. These CDROMs aren't IDE, they're
proprietary CDROM types used on older systems.

> My system is Pentium 120 using DPT scsi with Debian on it's own drive
> (/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2). I have disabled all mention of IDE hard drives in
> the BIOS.
>
> I am able to 'mount' a file system of type 'proc' on /dev/hda but I'm not
> sure of what this means - yet. (this is my first real try at Unix etc).
You have to mount the cdrom on /dev/hdb to access it. Then you can use
dselect to point at it. Debian should've automatically configured your
cd-rom to be mounted during bootup, but it is being detected.