Re: no CDROM

Hi,

I'm not sure I correctly understood everything so please correct me if I'm
wrong:

 o You have made the six install floppies
 o You used one of the floppies to boot
 o The base system got installed and the computer was rebooted
 o You now want to install the rest of the system but haven't used the dselect
   program which helps you to select and install the rest of the packages

If this is true, login as user 'root' and type 'dselect'. This will ask for
the install media, cdrom for you, I used ftp, and mount the cdrom for you.

For the boot lines, here's what I have:

hdd: FX810T4, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

You can try mounting your cdrom by first making the mount directory 'mkdir
/mnt/cdrom' and then issuing command 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom'.
Now if you cd to /mnt/cdrom you should be able to access the files on your
cdrom. See also the Debian FAQ which tells about dselect and installing from a
CD-ROM http://www.debian.org/FAQ/. http://www.buoy.com/debian/guide.html has
the info for beginners about the dselect program.

I'm not sure what you mean by mounting 'proc' file system on /dev/hda since
the 'proc' file system is not a real filesystem but a pseudo filesystem which
contains files that actually contain information on your system. The files in
the 'proc' file system do _not_ take any space on the disk.

I have no idea how Debian was distributed with the Linux World, I made my
install by ftp.

Please feel free to mail me, but please elaborate more your current situation.

Chris Tipney wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have just finished installing Debian fron the CD that came with Linux
> World issue 1 it works fine but doesn't find my Aztech IDE CDROM drive.
>
> During boot the following lines appear...
>
> hdb: CDA286031 SE, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on IRQ14
>
> The boot up then goes through various CDROM types withput finding one present.
>
> My system is Pentium 120 using DPT scsi with Debian on it's own drive
> (/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2). I have disabled all mention of IDE hard drives in
> the BIOS.
>
> I am able to 'mount' a file system of type 'proc' on /dev/hda but I'm not
> sure of what this means - yet. (this is my first real try at Unix etc).
>
> I need access to the CD to install the packages.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland