Re: help!

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Jamie Taylor wrote:

> How can I access my floppy and cd-rom drives?
> Also, how can I access my ms-dos partition on my hard drive?

I assume you have a base system installed? If you are working from the
install disks, you will need to pop up another VT.

If I understand your question, you are looking for the mount command.

For your floppy:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

This assumes that the floppy has an MSDOS file system on it, change the -t
option to reflect the file system on the floppy.

For the CD the task is a little more complex. There are several ways a CD
can be installed in a PC. Mine is on an adaptec scsi interface card. Many
are on various IDE/SCSI type interfaces composited with the sound card.
Once you have figured out which device driver you need, it should either
be installed with insmod (adding the module to /etc/modules will ensure
that it gets loaded on the next reboot) or compiled into the kernel (this
will also require a reboot)
Once this is all straight, the type of controler interface will determine
which device driver you will choose for the mount command. My scsi
interface mounts with the following command:

 mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom

Most CDs are iso9660 format (if it's not, I don't know how to mount it),
my device is scd0 and /cdrom is the mount point.

Luck,

Dwarf