RE: Dos & Linux

----------
De : 	David Stein[SMTP:David_Stein.RISD@notes.mdor.state.mn.us]
Date d'envoi :	mercredi 5 mars 1997 11:52
A :	debian-user
Objet :	Dos & Linux

How can I download .tar and .gz compressed files on a Dos system copy them over
to my linux system and uncompress them?  Is the uncompression built into unix?
Also can I interlink my Linux and my Dos system? (my modem is on my Dos system).

If you have dos and linux on the same computer, mount your dos partition (something like mount /dev/hda1 /mnt with some parameters which can be checked with a man mount command). Here, /dev/hda1 is your dos C: partition. Then, any binary file within the dos partition can be *read* by linux. It works with any binary data file (bmp, tar.gz files).

JPL

Jean-Paul Lacharme.
GREQAM UMR 6579 au CNRS
Centre de la Vieille Charite. 2, rue de la Charite.
13002 Marseille. FRANCE
Tel.: 0491140731/Fax:0491900227