Re: AWE32 problems.

Richard Morin <qnc496@durhamnews.net> writes:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Lawrence Chim wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 20:29:34 +1000
> > From: Lawrence Chim <ychim@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org,
> >     Dark Lord of Sith <darth@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
> > Subject: Re: AWE32 problems.
> >
> > Dark Lord of Sith wrote:
> > >
> > >         I just can't get the AWE32 sound card to work under debian.  It
> > > works fine under dos,95, or NT.  I've installed all the patches and tried
> > > running it with kernel 2.0.27, 2.0.29, and 2.1.26 with no success.  I use
> > > the I/O ,IRQ and DMA values out of the manual which match the ones in
> > > 95.  The card is plug and play.  If anyone know of the setting that work
> > > or have any ideas please let me know.  Thanks!
> > > IRQ: 5  DMA: 1 and 5
> >
> > It is possibly becuase your sound card is PnP and you need the PnP
> > patch or download the isapnptools from sunsite.unc.edu
> >
> > lawrence
> >

> isapnptools is available as a .deb package.
>
> Haven't tried it yet, but it is installed.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible for a pnp sound card to configure
> without that package, on previous versions of debian?

Yes. I do not like this approach but it is possible. It may also be helpful if you
are setting the kernel parameters for the sound first and you would like to
attack the PnP mess later:

1) If you configure your PnP board in autoexec.bat / config.sys in DOS, just
   boot into DOS first.

2) If not, You should boot into win95 in order it configure your PnP board.

Anycase, note the IRQs, DMAs that were attributed to your board.

3) Boot to linux now. Either use loadlin, or just use a worm boot (no reset
   botton, no power botton) like Ctr-Alt-Del.

>  I'm havin a heck of
> a time getting sound support compiled into my kernel, and now I think it
> is because its a pnp card.

You are probably right.

>  Funny thing is with deb 1.1 I was able to
> config my kernel for sound no problem.

Even for your PnP board. It sounds strange for me that Debian 1.1 could manage
PnP boards and 1.2 could not.

>  ahhhhhh I'm just havin' a bad
> week, first pon, now my sound...<virtual scream> I feel better now...

Note: Last time I did such configurations, it was done over a RedHat
installation and I did not start to compile the kernel in my fresh debian
installation. I could even start to play some music in linux, hit ctr-alt-del,
go to dos, and the music was not interrupt. I could also do the reverse.
I was using some patches for the kernel. I will try isapnptools next time in
debian.

--
Alair Pereira do Lago  <alair@ime.usp.br> <http://www.ime.usp.br/~alair>
Computer Science Department -- Universidade de S~ao Paulo -- Brazil