Re: why? whats wrong with cron?

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Solomani wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:05:44 +1100 (EST)
> From: Solomani <solomani@aic.net.au>
> To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Cc: Steve Greenland <stevegr@master.debian.org>
> Subject: why? whats wrong with cron?
>

> Can someone tell me why on one particular box cron wont run?
>
> I have three other identically setup Debian box and the cron on them runs
> fine, but this one it doesnt.  why?
>
> Its Version: 3.0pl1-36 and its been inactive since the machine was first
> setup (a month or so ago).  Im at the end of my wits and the only thing i
> can think to do is reinstall from scratch, which i dont want to do because
> this machine is our primary radius server and user host.

Check that you actually start cron at boot time.  My system did not do
that when I installed it the first time.
Check for files in /etc/rc2.d/*cron* (or whatever run level your system
comes up in)

If it in NOT there then create the links as follows:

cd /etc/init.d
update-rc.d cron defaults 89

You can then start cron either by rebooting or manually (just this once)
with

./cron start

Hope this helps,
Bernt.
Bernt T. Hansen   NORANG Consulting Inc.   bthansen@hookup.net
Computer Systems  235 Bellamy Road North   phone: (416)431-6216
Analyst           Scarborough,   Ontario   fax:   (416)431-2617
                  CANADA         M1J-2L7