Initial Installation

I am having some trouble writing the resq1440 disk to upgrade to Debian
1.2.3 from my existing Slackware system.  I did read the installation
manual, and got the message about disks - but now I have gone through a
box or more of brand new Sony disks (not all from the same box) and am
having a hard time believing that they are all bad.

I got the CD from iConnect and tried to follow the directions - cd
/cdrom/stable/disks-i386; ./make-disks

This does not exist, so I changed to current and then ran dd
if=resq1440.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync; sync to create each disk.  I
have now created more than 2 dozen disks which will not boot.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there any way I can get a decent set of
disks made so that I can get with the Debian program?  I would hate to
stay with slackware...but at least I can install it.

Thanks in Advance,

Randy