Re: ls colors gone after upgrade

William Chow <williamc@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 1997, Michael Harnois wrote:
>

> > >    .bashrc and/or .profile (or .cshrc or .zshrc, whatever):
> > > 	eval `dircolors`
> > > 	alias ls 'ls --color=auto'
> >
> > This would be wonderful if it were the correct answer. However, as we
>
> This IS the correct answer, WTF are you talking about? I've been using a
> similar alias in my startup scripts for months now.

How often do you use X? Your solution will work on the console, it will
even print bold characters for special files with Xterms, but it wont
do colour on my system.  The Xresource mentioned below needs to be set.

> > discussed just over a month ago on this list, the correct answer is not
> > documented anywhere in the Debian packages. You can read the manpage
> > for ls until hell freezes over and still not get color. The correct
> > answer was provided by Herbert Xu:
> I man ls, one of the options is --color. This should've clued you in.
> Maybe your brain froze over...

As far as I know Michael is correct on this one, man ls will tell you how
to get ls to output the required terminal codes to send color, but you need
to setup xterm to be able to displace them.  BTW is "maybe your brain froze
over" really necessary? I know Michael was a little flamey on his reply, but
this seems a reaction to your orignal unwarranted, "Read the man page you
bloody fool", response.

> > > Yes indeed.  And that means you need this resource line:
> > >
> > >	XTerm*customization: -color
> Uh, this will only work in an Xterm. Did you just want it in JUST an
> Xterm? I don't have access to your original email. If this is the case you
> should've specified. Anyway, the above solution will also work on Xterms.
> They read the .bashrc by default (assuming you're running bash...). I also
> assume you can export the aliases (although I've never done so...)

Like I said, your solution solves only half the problem in an xterm, I think
Michael was probably aware of this and was suggesting the resource line *in
addition* to the alias and eval.

Now maybe you don't use X and maybe your upgrade path didnt present the
problems others have had with xterms and color ls, but maybe you could allow
for the possibility that not everyone has a mirror of your system setup?

I'd prefer not to receive an abusive reply as abuse was not my intention and I
apologise if you read things differently.

Richard Jones.