Re: Is there a dictionary for abbreviations like "WTF"?

On Feb 18, Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote
>  I would like to resolve these many abbreviations today, as

>  So, is there any appropriate dictionary?  Thanks.

J. H. M. Dassen gave several URL's which should answer your questions,
but the start of your subject line reminded me of something else that
I am interested in -- a ``webster'' like dictionary that I could
install on my linux box.  I think that ``webster'' might come with
NeXT machines, but it has been available at every university at which
I have had a UNIX account, and I find myself telnetting into my
university account several times per day, specifically to make use of
it.  (Yes, I have a real paper and ink dictionary, and I usually
choose to use it when I am reading a book, but I want an online
dictionary when I am typing or reading mail.)  Several linux
dictionary options come to mind.

WWW -- I believe that there are www dictionary sites available, but I
want a dictionary installed on my machine that I can use whether or
not I am connected to the net.

Commercial UNIX dictionaries -- I recently saw a c.o.l.a article
announcing the availability of a ``webster''-like American Heritage
dictionary for linux, but the price was a bit steep.  (I think it was
$89 US for a single user license.)

DOS or Windows dictionary, converted for linux -- I would spend $20 -
$30 US for such a dictionary on CDROM if I could break the format of
the data file and write my own linux viewer for it.  (This would
probably be a violation of the letter of the license, but not the
spirit, as I would only use the "linux version" installed one single
user machine.)

GNU Free Dictionary project -- What ever happened to this?

Gutenberg Project dictionary -- I just noticed that the Gutenberg
Project released a 1919 Webster dictionary last year, both as an ASCII
flat file, and in html format.  That is a little old (necessitated by
copyright concerns) but it would serve nearly all my purposes (and add
some historical flavor to boot).  I believe that it is 40 MB
uncompressed, and I plan on downloading it shortly.  Has anyone else
had a look at it?  While an html version would be usable, I would
like to see a dictionary specific browser/viewer built for it.  It is
not appropriate to wrap up all the works of the Gutenberg Project as
debian packages, but it might be appropriate to do so with a dictionary
and thesaurus.  (They have also released a version of Roget's
Thesaurus.)  At the very least, a contrib package could be built
containing viewers (and possible even ``webster''-like client and
server) and including instructions for downloading the data files.  Is
any one else interested in this?

Kirk Hilliard