Re: Newbie question on serial ports in Linux - please help!

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Nathan L. Cutler wrote:

>     Mikael>      And by which device should I call my modem which is
>     Mikael> connected to the second serial port? /dev/cua1 or
>     Mikael> /dev/ttyS1? Where can I find out more about this?
>
> The Linux guru community seems to be divided on this question.  I had
> always read that the cua devnames are for _dialout_ connections, and
> the ttyS devices are for _dialin_ connections (or was it the other way
> around?)...

The original reason for the bifurcation in the first place had to do with
locking difficulties and getty (if I'm not mistaken) and have since been
fixed. As a result, cua devices are being discouraged in favor of ttyS
devices for both dial out and dial in. As a seperate data point. I still
use the cua device on my dialout modem, with ppp, and have no problem.
It's not that they are non-functional, it's really a "conformity" issue,
as best I can tell.
To shorten the answer: use ttyS for both dial in and dial out.

Luck,

Dwarf