Re: PPP Chatscript problem

On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, Richard Heestand wrote:

> I am trying to create a working chat script so I can
> proceed with my installation of debian 1.2.  However,
> after a day of trying variations of chat scripts, I am stumped.

 In addition to the other comments I've seen, I have one suggestion:

> My ppp.chatscript is:
>
> ABORT     BUSY
> ABORT     "NO CARRIER"
> ABORT     VOICE
> ABORT     "NO DIALTONE"
> ""        ATDT77139661200
> ogin:     rick
> assword:  xxxx
> own)      dumb\rdppp
>
> The steps to log into my ISP are (captured from MS
> Windows Terminal) :
>
> ATDT7139661200
> CONNECT 9600/ARQ/V32/LAPM
>
> NeoSoft AAS 1.0 (pandora.neosoft.com) 11 users, 9600/ARQ
> login: rick

 The output you listed indicated that it was expecting an "ogin:" and
didn't get it. Aside from the 1400 baud problem (which you should look
into; do a "man setserial" to get an idea of how fast you should set the
port, too) you may need to send a return character after you connect, to
bring up the login prompt.

 What I would suggest is calling in to the ppp number with, e.g. seyon or
minicom, and follow through the steps by hand. This will give you a good
idea of what the system expects. Then, hang up, edit your chatscript, and
try again...

Sincerely,

Raymond Ingles                 (810) 377-7735                inglesra@frc.com

 They said there'd be snow at Christmas; They said there'd be peace on Earth.
    Halelujah Noel, be it Heaven or Hell; The Christmas we get we deserve.
                  -ELP, "I Believe in Father Christmas"