Re: AU mirrors

On Thu, Jan 01, 1998 at 12:40:26PM +1100, Tim Bell wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Moffatt (hamish@rising.com.au):
> > Can any .AU users recommend any other debian mirrors in AU?
> > ftp.usyd.edu.au:/linux/debian was excellent but currently
> > contains only the indices subdirectory. Before that I found

> > They recommend ftp.monash.edu.au but that has sunsite's
> > directory structure and I always find the sunsite-type
> > places to be very out of date with debian.

Actually Monash does seem to be up to date. I used it yesterday.
Unfortunately the bandwidth from there is not always very good.

> I use croatan.schnet.edu.au (with a ping time of 31 msec from Melbourne).

I get "cannot set guest priviledges" from that with ftp.

> Or at least I did the last time I needed it. I just tested it now, and
> it seems something is screwy with their server. Have you tried
> ftp.uwa.edu.au?

Looks like it should be pretty fast too.

Thanks for the list. Although the shortening mirror list is
mildly concerning -- first www.unimelb.edu.au gone, then
ftp.usyd.edu.au gone, ... Still, at least ftp.debian.org
is fast enough from here. Yesterday I had a hell of a time
getting some Slackware boot disks, everywhere I tried was
just so slow (including Monash, ftp.cdrom.com, etc).

Hamish