Re: AU mirrors

Quoting Hamish Moffatt (hamish@rising.com.au):
> Can any .AU users recommend any other debian mirrors in AU?
> ftp.usyd.edu.au:/linux/debian was excellent but currently
> contains only the indices subdirectory. Before that I found
> www.unimelb.edu.au good but they ran out of disk space.
> They recommend ftp.monash.edu.au but that has sunsite's
> directory structure and I always find the sunsite-type
> places to be very out of date with debian.
>
> ftp.debian.org.au points to ftp.debian.org.
> ftp.au.debian.org currently has ping times of 3-4s due
> to congestion at Telstra in Perth; in contrast I can get
> to ftp.debian.org in 700ms.

I use croatan.schnet.edu.au (with a ping time of 31 msec from Melbourne).
Or at least I did the last time I needed it. I just tested it now, and
it seems something is screwy with their server. Have you tried
ftp.uwa.edu.au?

Someone posted this ping tester recently (although I think
there was also an improved version) which I find quite handy. Of course,
the ping time doesn't necessarily correlate to the bandwidth...

	#!/bin/sh
	# Script to figure out the fastest Debian mirror sites
	grep "\..*:/" README.mirrors| awk '{ print $1 };' | \
	awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | fping -aef - | \
	awk '{ print substr($2,2),$1 }' | sort -n| head -10

I get the following list:

	2 ftp.monash.edu.au
	18 ftp.usyd.edu.au
	31 croatan.schnet.edu.au