ghostview sneakily learning about another filesystem

This shouldn't be possible . . .

After it's first use in a session, ghostview tends to give me the following
message:

Exec of /afs/iastate.edu/public/ghost/bin333/gs-axp failed: No such file or
directory
Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window.

This is the path on our university's vincent (athena) alpha's, running OSF1.
But there is no way that this k6 box should even know about those paths.  I
did a clean install, but it still pulls this.

Any ideas?

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.