laser printers and linux

Seems to be a lot of questions about printers in the last week.  I might as
well get in mine.  NEC SuperScript 860.  Will it work or not.  I bought it
because a magazine review said it worked with OS's other than Windows (and
cheap and fast and generally highly recommended).  I now have this sinking
feeling that it won't.  The manual says that it "differs from other printers
in that it is driven directly by the CPU of your computer..."  This sounds
suspiciously like what the Hardware-HOWTO says to avoid -- equipment that
has had its brains taken out and uses Windows driven software to do the job.

I have not gone any further than the manual yet because I have 20 days
to return it (well 16 now I guess), but if I crack the toner,  I'll have
to replace it.  I am not too keen on that until I am sure it will work
because a new toner cartridge will cost me nearly half what I payed for
the printer.  So, anyone have one that they use under Linux for more than
just oridnary ascii text stuff ?

Anticipating an unhappy answer, I have a follow-up question.  Any
recommendations for a cheap fast laser that puts out excellent text and
nice graphics ?  I've been to the aforementioned HOWTO and to a ghostscript
compatibility list, but I can't believe that there are so few compatible
printers.  The only HP lasers mentioned there are no longer on HP product
list.  Someone mentioned an HP 6L on the list recently that doesn't appear
on the lists, so there must be more useable printers out there.

TIA,