Elm Error

When I start Elm as root is works fine but when I start Elm as my user
name, amwalker, is says:

What's this? The temp folder already exists??

Then this disappears after a second then it says:

Ahhh... I give up.
This also works with other users besides root.  Another problem...
When I open up Elm under any user besides amwalker and root, when I try
to compose a message it says: Could not create file /tmp/snd.1730
(Persmission denied)

Thanks for any help.
--

Aaron Walker