Re: Perl & dpkg

On 25 Dec 1997, William R Ward wrote:

> Does anyone have a solution to this?  I'd like to install the basic
> Perl, and am fine with using .deb files for that, but wish to reserve
> the right to upgrade using "perl -MCPAN -e shell" and its nifty
> interface.

You could use the equivs package from hamm. You can set it up to "provide"
the packages you have installed using CPAN.pm . You can modify equiv's
controlfile in it's source distribution or change the "Provides:" line in
equiv's paragraph in /var/lib/dpkg/status.

> Also I've noticed that some Perl modules get installed into
> /usr/lib/perl5 (bad!) when I use the 'perl Makefile.PL; make test;
> make install' method, and others into /usr/local/lib/site-perl (good).
> Does anyone here know how to force all Perl modules I install to go in
> /usr/local/lib/site-perl so they won't conflict with the Debian stuff?

If the install docs provided by the perl module doesn't say how to do it,
you could always modify the makefile.

Ciao,
	Martin